MRT construction worker dies after being hit by concrete slab at Cross Island Line work site
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
The 23-year-old victim was struck by a temporary concrete section during hacking, said the Ministry of Manpower.
PHOTO: MINISTRY OF MANPOWER
SINGAPORE – A construction worker died on May 14 after he was hit by a concrete slab at the work site for an MRT station on the upcoming Cross Island Line.
The incident took place at 250A Turf Club Road, the site of the new Turf City MRT station in Bukit Timah, at around 1.30pm that day, said the authorities on May 17 in response to queries.
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said it happened at a work area where an excavator was removing concrete under a concrete deck.
The victim’s role was to guide the excavator operator and keep a lookout to prevent others from entering the work zone, added LTA.
The 23-year-old victim was struck by a temporary concrete section during the hacking process, said the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).
He was found motionless when the police arrived, and paramedics from the Singapore Civil Defence Force pronounced him dead at the scene.
Preliminary investigations have ruled out foul play, added the police.
The worker was employed by Koh Kock Leong Construction, a sub-contractor of the main contractor, Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Co (Singapore) - Obayashi Corporation Joint Venture, said LTA.
“We are deeply saddened by this incident and extend our deepest condolences to the family of the deceased worker. We are working with the contractors to provide support and assistance to the family,” it added.
An MOM spokesperson said that for safety, the hacking and removal of any temporary concrete section must be conducted in a controlled manner, and exclusion zones must be strictly enforced.
The spokesperson added that those performing the duty the victim had been tasked with, that of a banksman, must also exercise caution.
A banksman is someone who guides the movement of large vehicles or heavy machinery.
MOM added that while banksmen safeguard others by monitoring hazards and controlling access, they must also ensure that they do not position themselves within potential danger zones.
LTA said it is supporting MOM and the police in their investigations.
The occupier of the site, STECS-Obayashi CR203 Joint Venture, has been told to stop all excavation work there, said MOM.
The Straits Times has contacted Koh Kock Leong Construction and STECS-Obayashi CR203 Joint Venture for more information.
Additional reporting by Laura Chia


